Driving down the freeway yesterday I heard a song that got me thinking about how good music on the radio was around the early 90's. In recent years, the seemingly more significant artists ( I would argue) are falling more in to the indie scene and as a result seeing less airplay. Now we could make the case that this has been partially driven by the internet and how it allows people to easily find what they want, but I certainly miss the days of being able to turn on decent radio station and not hear crap.
I'll get off my soapbox..
Trying to narrow down the top Alternative songs from the 90's, which is arguably the only meaningful decade for the genre, isn't an easy task. Below are my favorite 15 tracks. Thats right, Nirvana didn't make the cut, deal with it.
15. Primitive Radio Gods "Standing outside a broken phone booth with money in my hand"
14. Gin Blossoms "Hey Jealousy"
13. Reel Big Fish "Sell Out"
12. Dave Matthews Band "Ants Marching"
11. Beck "Jack Ass"
10. The Offspring "Self Esteem"
9. Green Day "Basket Case"
8. R.E.M. "Everybody Hurts"
7. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones "The Impression that I Get"
6. The Toadies "Tyler"
5. Pearl Jam "Better Man"
4. Live "Lightening Crashes"
3. Weezer "Say it Ain't So"
2. Smashing Pumpkins "1979"
1. Radiohead "Creep"